Thursday, August 02, 2007

Two Lists

I will leave China in five days, and I have very mixed feelings.

Things I'm looking forward to at home:

  • My bed.
  • My cats.
  • Insanely strong coffee and good bread, warm with olive oil for breakfast.
  • Cool weather.
  • Friends and colleagues in Maine.
  • Cooking yummy food while listening to loud music.
  • Quiet Maine nights.


Things I will miss about Beijing:

  • Good Chinese food, especially eggplant. I've never even come close to cooking eggplant so it tastes like it does in China.
  • Clubs that play music that I like.
  • The local coffee shop where the staff cheerfully greets me with a chorus of "good morning" no matter what time of day it is.
  • Some great friends that I've made over the last two years.
  • The excitement of living in a city of 16 million people.
  • Eating pizza and cupcakes with chopsticks.
  • The inspiration I draw from working with and being around so many smart, creative, and kind people at the summer school.
  • The sense of adventure and possibility associated with almost everything here.

No comments: