Monday, February 20, 2006

Santa Fe Institute

I've spent the last week at the Santa Fe Institute. I'll be here for two additional weeks before returning to Maine. The main purpose of my visit is to help plan the Complex Systems Summer School. I'm serving as the co-director of the school in July this summer. A good portion of last week was spent working on a grant to the NSF that would provide travel support for US grad students who attend the school. We submitted it on Friday. We're now beginning the process of reading applicant files and making decisions on who we'll admit.

The last few days I've been sitting in on a number of the talks associated with a workshop on the evolution of inequality that was held here. All of the talks were interesting, and a few were quite extraordinary. The workshop was quite small, so I got to spend quite a bit of time talking with the presenters.

Thus far, my visit to SFI has been great. I hadn't been here for a couple of years and its very good to be back. I'm looking forward to my next two weeks here.

No comments: