Sunday, October 29, 2006

Powerless

What will I do with my "extra hour" today? Apparently I'll spend much of it waiting for water to boil. The storm has passed and it's stopped raining. But it's very, very winding. A little over two hours ago we lost power. Our stove is electric, so this means that we're using our woodstove for boiling water in addition to heat. It'll work, but it takes a long time.

Checking the Bangor Hydro website, it seems as if there are outages all over the eastern half of the state. I'm hoping that we get power back soon, since without power we have no water -- hot or cold, as our well has an electric pump. Often when we lose power there is still electricity on campus. However, that doesn't seem to be the case today; it looks like all of Mount Desert Island is without electricity. So I'm not optimistic that we'll get power back any time soon. I suppose that this is ok -- I can just do lots of grading -- as long as it comes back on to take a shower for Monday.

Update: A few hours after writing this, the power came back on. The campus has electricity, too. However, much of the island seems to still be without power.

No comments: