Saturday, January 05, 2008

Back Home

We're back home in Maine. We arrived on Wednesday the 3rd of January. Our flight from Boston to Bar Harbor was cancelled, but fortunately the subsequent flight wasn't so we arrived with only a few hours' delay. There had been a big storm from, I gather, January 1 until the morning of the third, which dumped around two feet of snow. It took a little while to dig out the car at the airport parking lot. Fortunately I had left a shovel in the car, so it wasn't too difficult a task.

It's been quite cold since then, so the snow is still around. It's quite beautiful and an incredible change from Santiago, where it was sunny and around 90 degrees. Two nights ago the low was -9. Brrr. Now it's a balmy 35 degrees and things are getting just a little bit slushy.

Our winter term begins on Monday, and I'm not really close to being ready. The good news is that I'm teaching Calculus III (multivariable and vector) and Introduction to Chaos and Fractals, both of which I've taught many times before, so I don't really have any new prep to do. Nevertheless, I have quite a bit of work to do just to update old syllabi and plan the first few classes.

I will try to post a few pictures from our Chile trip over the next few days. Right now, though, I should return to work on my classes and/or spend some time trying to free Doreen's car, which is right now covered by an immense pile of snow.

No comments: