Sunday, January 07, 2007

First week

Already one week of our ten-week term has come and gone. I think things are off to a good start. I'm quite pleased with my Computer Science class. Students seem enthusiastic about the work and it's been really fun for me to be teaching something new. Also, all students are using Linux or UNIX-based operating systems, which means that I'm able to give them lots of detailed help. It's great to be teaching a course without using any Microsoft products.

As on much of the East Coast, the weather here has been very warm. It got up to 55 degrees yesterday, and much of the week it's been in the upper 40's. Looks like it will be a long time before I get any ice hockey in. At the end of December we had some cold weather and it seemed as if ice wasn't far away. Optimistically, I got my skates sharpened. Alas, they've still not been used.

I'm currently working frantically on the academic portion of COA's self-study document for our re-accreditation. This is the soul crushing document which I've mentioned several times before. My soul is doing ok. It's not completely crushed, but it is somewhat broken and compressed. I will be done with the draft soon. Then will come much editing and re-writing. I am confident that my soul will recover, but it might take a while.

No comments: